Leading philanthropy teams
Wednesday 2nd October (2pm-5pm), Wednesday 9th October (2pm – 5pm) and Wednesday 16th October (2pm-5pm)
The Kings Fund, London W1G 0AN.
£750+VAT for four sessions (Solid clients, £700+VAT).
At Solid Management, we work with a diverse range of clients each with their own concerns and opportunities. But a universal and significant challenge that all of our clients experience, is the need to recruit, develop and retain outstanding fundraisers to manage and lead philanthropy teams.
The aim of this course is to increase the skills of both fundraisers who are already leading philanthropy teams (Directors, Heads and Managers) and fundraisers taking a step into one of these senior roles. In the short term we aim to increase the leadership skills of participants in order to improve the performance of their teams, in the longer term we aim to help increase the pool of talented philanthropy leaders and improve calibre across the sector.
This course focusses on leadership skills required to: create robust philanthropy strategies; lead and manage influence executive teams and lay leaders; manage performance and risk; and create ‘best in class’ systems, processes and culture. The ‘Leading Philanthropy Teams’ course is a great next step for those who have graduated from our ‘Major Donor Training’ course, but it is not a prerequisite to have undertaken the first course.
The format of the course is three half day sessions. Each week there will be tuition delivered by Solid Management’s Consultants, guest speakers who are all highly experienced philanthropy fundraisers, followed by group discussion to share experiences, challenges and best practice within the group. On previous courses the participants have built a peer network, keeping in touch throughout the course and beyond.
If you have any queries or would like to discuss in more detail, please contact Jane Hogarth on 07958 369170 or firstname.lastname@example.org
2nd October: 2pm – 5pm
- Developing the qualities of an outstanding Director/Head/Manager of Philanthropy
- Managing the common challenges in the job
- Applying leadership theories in the philanthropy context
- Creating your leadership map
- Guest speaker – TBC
9th October: 2pm – 5pm
- Working with the Board and Chief Executive; corporate culture in which philanthropy can thrive
- Managing the interdependencies of philanthropy/services/marketing/communications/finance
- Influencing non fundraising colleagues
- Creating service propositions which inspire transformational gifts
- Working as part of a wider fundraising leadership team
- Making the case for investment in your function
- Budgeting, forecasting, KPIs and risks
- Managing and reporting performance
16th October: 2pm – 5pm
- Overseeing the business of the philanthropy team
- Setting philanthropy strategy
- Getting the right team structure
- Recruiting, retaining and developing a brilliant team
- Feeding back on ‘your leadership map’
- Developing your skills and career progression
- Guest speaker – TBC